Blackmagic Design has today announced the availability of Camera 1.9 software which includes new “heads up display” on screen metering that provides users with histogram, peak audio meters and recording time remaining for the Blackmagic Production Camera 4K.
The best part about an easy to read display like the one this firmware adds is that it means you can quickly check and change settings such as exposure, audio level and the remaining space on their recording disk.
It seems similar to the heads up display that is in the yet to be released BM URSA, which incidentally BM’s website states will begin shipping in July but is still on pre-order for sales, July’s almost run out guys.
It’s great to see that display idea has been incorporated into the 4K production camera and BM have said that in the coming weeks it will release firmware updates for more of its cameras that will feature this new heads up display info.
“We are extremely excited that we have been able to provide yet another release for our camera customers,” said Grant Petty, CEO of Blackmagic Design. “Having this new heads up display with on screen scopes will enable filmmakers to shoot the most amazing images with confidence that they will get incredible results in post production!”
The update also features a histogram scope which shows the the distribution of luminance in their images and if highlights or shadows are being clipped. Images with clipped highlights or shadows make it much harder to colour grade the shots in post production, so having the histogram feature helps DOP’s shoot the correct exposure in every frame. The scope is in real time so highlights and shadows can be adjusted interactively with the lens setting, ensuring maximum detail in tonal ranges is preserved, for your colourist.
There’s also a new audio metering with peak hold feature to allow setting audio levels for Channels 1 and 2 when using the built in microphone as well as externally connected audio sources. The audio meters make it fast to view audio levels and adjust camera audio gain so that audio is not clipped or distorted.
In addition, a recording time remaining indicator that shows remaining space on the recording disk. BM tell us the time remaining indicator is automatically re-calibrated to ensure an accurate time remaining value if the either the frame rate or codec are changed, and displays red when the disk is getting full.
This update is now available and you can download it via the BM support page here.
Blackmagic Production Camera 4K Key Features
- Large high resolution 4K Super 35 mm sized sensor with superior handing of image detail.
- Professional global shutter for smooth pans and image motion.
- Wide 12 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality EF mount lenses.
- Built in SSD recorder allows long duration recording onto solid state disks.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software, such as Apple ProRes and compressed CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Features all standard connections, including jack mic/line audio in, 6G-SDI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, Thunderbolt, LANC remote control and standard DC 12 power connection.
- Built in touch screen LCD for camera settings and metadata entry compatible with popular video editing software including Final Cut Pro X.
- Supports Ultra HD and 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Includes UltraScope software for live scopes via the built in Thunderbolt connection.
- Includes DaVinci Resolve colour grading software.
Excerpts from Press Release