Tascam has released a brand new recorder designed for use with DSLRs the DR-701D 6-Track Field Recorder.
The new recorder features dual built-in omnidirectional microphones, four XLR/TRS inputs with phantom power which are capable of recording up to 6 tracks simultaneously, a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack input and a multi-band limiter. It is capable of recording up to 16/24-bit, 44.1/48/96/192kHz in WAV or BWF and features a 1/4″-20 thread on the bottom for tripod mounting, removable camera or cage system attachment.
It has an HDMI input that can connect to a DSLR’s HDMI output, allowing users to record sound remotely via the camera’s HDMI signal triggering. Also, with camera’s that support timecode via HDMI, the DR-701D will follow the timecode and embedd it to the recorded file for in-post syncing. Additionally, captured audio can be synced to incoming video and timecode and the combined signal can then be connected to other monitor recorders via HDMI. The recorder can also lock to SMPTE timecode coming into its BNC connector.
The unit is powered by four AA batteries, Tascam has said that when using lithium batteries (with the internal clock, and phantom power on two inputs), the unit is able record for over 5 hours at 16-bit/48kHz. The recorder supports a variety of media cards, including SD, SDHC, or SDXC cards up to 128 GB.
The recorder also features a camera out mini-jack that allows you to record the output of the unit to your camera’s memory which can be used as a sync reference in post, and a camera-in mini-jack which allows you to playback the camera’s audio and monitor from the headphone outputs.
• 6 maximum simultaneous recording tracks
• SD/SDHC/SDXC cards used for recording media
• MONO, STEREO, 2MIX, DUAL MONO, DUAL ST and DUAL2MIX recording modes
• Recording formats: 16/24-bit, 44.1/48/96/192kHz (WAV/BWF) (192kHz only for two-track recording)
• Built-in original TASCAM HDDA mic preamps provide high audio quality
• Input levels can be adjusted separately for each track
• XLR/TRS inputs support +4dBu line level and 24/48V phantom power
• Clock and record start/stop can be synchronized with a camera using the HDMI port
• DR-701D audio signal can be output to an external camera or recorder from the HDMI OUT or line output
• Cascade function using HDMI connections allows multiple DR-701D transport and monitoring operations
• SMPTE Timecode can be input through the TC IN connector to add recording start times to files
• Timecode generator (RTC) allows recording start times to be added to files even when there is no timecode input
• Plug-in power mics and high output mics (EXT IN 1/2) supported
• CAMERA OUT connector can output audio mixed by the DR-701D to a DSLR camera
• CAMERA IN connector enables monitoring the sound from a DSLR camera through the DR-701D
• High quality audio output through a line output jack separate from the headphones jack
• Headphones jack with 50mW+50mW maximum output
• Tripod attachment threads (bottom), camera screw attachment that can be installed or removed with a coin (top) and shoe mount (top) included
• Handles on the left and right sides of the front protect the control surface and also enable attachment of a shoulder strap
• Transport and SLATE buttons made of rubber suppress noise during operation
• HOLD switch prevents inadvertent control adjustments
• 128×64-dot graphic LCD with backlight
• LED lights have high visibility even in direct sunlight
• High-speed transfer of files to computers possible using USB 2.0
• Micro-B type USB cable included
• Powered by 4 AA batteries, USB bus power or a PS-P515U AC adapter (sold separately)
• BP-6AA external battery pack (sold separately) enables operation for even longer times
• Optional RC-3F foot switch and RC-10 wireless remote control can be connected (both sold separately)
• Built-in mixer enables pan and level adjustments as well as solo monitoring and can output a mix of 4 channels
• GANG function allows the levels of multiple channels to be controlled simultaneously
• Individual channel trim settings shown
• 5-position low-cut filter (50/80/120/180/220 Hz) cuts unwanted low frequencies
• Multi-band limiter automatically adjusts input overloads (stereo-linking possible with 1/L and 2/R)
• Delay function can compensate for distances between mics (+/-150 ms)
• Mid-side decoder function enables use with mid-side stereo mics
• Slate tone insertion functions (AUTO/MANUAL)
• Slate tone insertion points can be selected (recording start or recording start and stop when slate AUTO function used)
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
The Tascam DR-701D is available in parts of the USA now and will be available in Australia in Feb 2016 with a RRP of AU$1299.
Contact: CMI Music & Audio: (Ph) +61 3 9315 2244. For more info, check: tascam.com/dr-701d
Excerpts from Press Release.