Arri have announced the newest members in their range of matte boxes, the SMB-1 and the LMB-6.
Studio Matte Box SMB-1
The SMB-1 is a large studio matte box for filter sizes up to 6.6″ x 6.6″. It is designed for bigger wide-angle prime lenses, as well as zooms.
The SMB-1 Tilt has an exclusive, integrated tilt module and all versions benefit from stackable filter stages, allowing quick reconfiguration.
Uniquely, both 4:3 and 2:1 ratio sunshades are available, optimized respectively for spherical and anamorphic filming.
The SMB-1 covers the full ALEXA sensor area and allows the Master Prime 12 mm to be used with a 2-filter-stage, the Ultra Prime 10 mm with a 1-filter stage, and the Ultra Wide Zoom UWZ 9.5-18 mm with a 1-filter stage.
- Built-in tilt module
- Stackable filter stages
- Anamorphic conversion set available
- Ready for ALEXA and 12 mm Master Prime
- Ready for ALEXA and Angenieux Optimo 24-290
- Special donuts optimized for tilt available
Lightweight Matte Box LMB-6
Succeeding the classic LMB-4A, the LMB-6 offers all the innovations of the successful LMB-25 to larger-sized filters, up to 6.6″ x 6.6″.
- 2- or 3-filter metal stage guides
- 6.6″ x 6.6″ filter frames
- Hood ready for wide-angle lenses up to Ultra Prime 8R (Ansi 35 mm)
- Dedicated carbon fiber top / bottom flag
- Large range of clamp adapters up to 162 mm for Optimo 24-290 / 28-340
- Compatible with all LMB-4 / MB-28 / MB-14 non-geared filter frames
- Compatible with all LMB-4 / 4A clamp-on rings (with ∅156 mm clamp adapter)
- Hood easily removable on set with captive screws
- Securing loop on main frame for crane and vehicle use
- 5.65″ x 5.65″ filter frame
- 4″ x 5.65″ reducer frame
- Tray catcher
- Bottom flag attachments
- Set of 5x mattes
- 3/8″ mount for accessories such as ultrasonic devices
- Bottom-mounted tray securing catch
Excerpts from Press Release