Avid has finally introduced the studio version of its live and venues consoles – Pro Tools S3.
So many composers and sound designers have been waiting with bated breath for Avid to unveil the S3. Avid had already released the live version (S3L) all the way back in May and also unveiled the venue version (S3L-X) last month. Finally the studio console has been announced and it looks like it might have been worth the wait. Particularly as it’s priced for a struggling film composer or sound designers on a tight budget.
The new console is based on the popular S6 but comes with an affordable price tag. It is a compact, EUCON-enabled, ergonomic desktop surface in a traditional console layout combined with the upgraded tech of the S6.
It’s compact design means it’s small enough to pop under your arm as you head out to for film location mixing, or even if you’re just lacking studio space.
“In today’s competitive post and music mixing environment, shrinking budgets and tighter schedules are common place,” said Chris Gahagan, senior vice president of Products and Technology at Avid.
“To succeed, audio professionals need to streamline and accelerate their workflow, as well as broaden the scope and capabilities of their mixing solutions to handle the most sophisticated projects. The affordable Pro Tools S3 delivers the power, efficiency, and versatility engineers need to deliver fast turnarounds in the most demanding environments.”
- 16 channel strips, each with a touch-sensitive, motorized fader and 10-segment signal level meter (supports up to 6 fader banks)
- 32 touch-sensitive, push-button rotary encoders for panning, gain control, plug-in parameter adjustments, and more (16 channel control, 16 assignable), each with a tricolor LED function indicator
- 32 high-resolution OLED displays for viewing track names/numbers, detailed metering data (from mono to 5.1 surround), parameter names/values, current automation mode, and more
- Solo, mute, channel select, and record/automation-enable keys on every channel
- Touch strip provides easy access to transport controls
- Dozens of dedicated buttons and switches for navigation, automation, control assignment, and software control
- Built-in 4×6 AVB Core Audio interface includes 2 XLR mic/line inputs, 2 TRS line inputs, 2 XLR line outputs, 2 TRS line outputs, and a stereo headphone output.
- EUCON technology: Create up to 12 custom mixer layouts and recall them to the surface at any time—ideal for mixing drums, vocals, dialog, sound effects, and other groupings.
- Record and monitor directly via the 4-in/6-out AVB audio interface.
- Ribbon controller for intuitive transport navigation.
- Dimensions: H – 1.3″ (front), 2.8″ (Rear w/ Knobs), D – 4.3″, W – 28″, Weight – 6.2 kgs
Pricing and Availability:
The S3 is available for pre-order at around US$5,000 and will begin shipping in November.
For more info, check: www.avid.com
Excerpts from Press Release