One of the biggest flaws to filming with a GoPro is its fixed camera. Despite this, many filmmakers still incorporate footage capture on the rugged little cam in their films. But for most the fixed lens is a serious issue and reason alone to not use GoPro.
This is where the new Back-Bone Ribcage mod kit will shake things up, because it allows GoPro users to fit a wide range of lenses onto their Hero, giving them manual focus and depth of field. Although, we’re not entirely sure why you would need all of those things on an action cam. Still, it’s cool to have it there in case you do.
After several design changes, Back-Bone have finally released its Ribcage mod kit which is now available to purchase. The new design features a removable tripod mount with three mounting positions, adjustable flange distance for precise lens control and more.
Best of all you can use almost any lens on your GoPro by connecting M12, CS-Mount and C-Mount lenses, with adapters for other lens types.
- More Lens Options: The Hero3 cameras feature an awesome, crisp and sharp wide angle lens in order to capture all the action, but this may not be the look you’re trying to achieve. With the option to change lenses filmmakers can easily get any look they want from this great camera – and you can use the original lens too!
- Depth of Field and Manual Focus: To achieve a more cinematic look many filmmakers wish to use a more shallow depth of field, creating a ‘bokeh’ or blurred background and foreground. By adding different lenses the user can now manually control the focus and F-stop to create the ideal look.
- Zoom: With a manual zoom or telephoto lens attached you can achieve sharp detail from a great distance, and perform zooming during filming.
- Night Vision: The Ribcage mod kit has a removable IR cut filter, allowing the user the ability of filming with or without the filter. The benefit of this is, with the addition of an IR light source such as a battery powered IR LED panel, you get instant night vision. All you ghost hunters out there can film in complete darkness and still control multiple cameras with the WiFi remote!
- Use Your Old SLR Lenses: How many of us have that old camera bag in the closet gathering dust? The optics and manual controls on most older SLR film camera lenses are excellent! Why not breathe new life into them by using them on your Ribcage? With the proper adapter ring you can attach almost any popular brand of manual lens to our mod, including Canon, Nikon, Pentax and more.
Price and Availability:
You can buy the mod kit (to fit yourself) for US$249 or purchase an already modded GoPro Hero3+ Black for US$849 and is available for purchase through the Back-Bone website: www.back-bone.ca