The Convergent Design Odyssey7, little sister to the popular Odyssey7Q, received an firmware update today (along with the 7Q) and has begun shipping.
Odyssey7 is a monitor/recorder designed for on-camera use. The monitor features a 1280×800 OLED touchscreen with true blacks and accurate colors. Monitor functions include advanced Image Analysis Tools for exposure and focus, such as Waveform, Histogram, False Color, Focus Assist and Pixel Zoom.
It is also a professional HD video recorder, capturing HD video in Apple ProRes 422(HQ) up to 1080/30p, 1080/60i and 720/60p. Future updates will expand the available frame rates as well as add other formats of compressed HD video recording. An SSD slot will accept 256GB & 512GB. One 512GB SSD will hold 330 minutes of 1080/24p material. The recorder features full playback functions including file scrubbing. HD signals are cross-converted and output over both SDI and HDMI simultaneously.
Today’s firmware update includes (for both the Odyssey 7 and Odyssey7Q):
Advanced Playback Controls
This is a complete revamp of the Playback system. Standard deck-style controls for Play/Pause, single-frame step forward or step-back, and skip forward or back to next/pervious clip. Additionally, an interactive scrub bar allows the user to quickly access any section of a clip simply by dragging a finger across the OLED touchscreen. All recordable formats are supported and more detailed information is noted in the Play List.
Expanded HD Video Format Support In Apple ProRes 422(HQ)
In addition to 1080p video, the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q now support 1080i and 720p signals, as well as 24p signals embedded within 1080i video streams using “3:2 Pulldown”. New record formats in Apple ProRes 422(HQ) include: 1080/60i, 1080/50i, 1080/(24 over)60i, 720/60p, 720/50p. Additionally, upon selecting 3:2 PULLDOWN, the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q will remove the excess material and record a pure 1080/24p video stream for more efficient storage and ease of post.
Monitoring LUTs For HD Video
Monitoring LUTs for the LOG outputs from several popular cameras are now supported in HD video recording in both Apple ProRes 422(HQ) and Uncompressed DPX (Odyssey7Q only). Cameras and LOG formats supported include ARRI ALEXA (Log-C), Canon C100/300/500 (C-Log), Sony F3 (S-Log), Sony F5/F55 (S-Log2), Sony F5/F55 (S-Log3) and Sony FS700 (S-Log2). All monitoring LUTs conform selected Log signals to REC709. Monitoring LUTs are applied to the OLED screen, video outputs and Image Analysis tools, but not to the recorded files.
Opacity is now selectable when using the Waveform. The background of the waveform can be either translucent as in previous firmware, or selected to be solid black so that the waveform display can be more clearly seen.
Dual-Link RGB 4:4:4 Support For Sony F3 (Odyssey7Q only)
Record RGB 4:4:4 from the Sony F3 at 1080/23.98psf, 1080/25psf and 1080/29.97psf.
*Further Odyssey7Q updates at end of article
Although the Odyssey7 shares similarities to the Odyssey7Q, there are significant differences (comparison chart), however the biggest difference between the two is price.
The Odyssey7 is just AU$1839 (RRP), $960 less than the Odyssey7Q.
More Info: http://www.convergent-design.com/
- Display: 7.7″ OLED, 1280×800, RGB 8-Bit Panel, ~ 16 million colors, wide gamut, 3400:1 Contrast, 176° Viewing, True Blacks
- SDI Video: I/O HD/3G Support: Single Link, 1-Input, 1-Output, Full-size BNCs, Up to 1080p60 422 10-bit
- HDMI Video: I/O HDMI I/O Version 1.4a support, Up to 1080p30 422 8-bit
- LUT Support: ARRI, Canon, Sony LUTs (No Custom LUT Support)
- Focus Assist: Video + Edges, Edges Only, Enhanced Edges, user choice of color: Red, Green, or Blue + Pulsing
- Zebras: Currently one programmable level, future two programmable levels
- False Color: False color with 5 programmable levels
- Waveform Monitor: Luma only, RGB Parade, Red only, Blue only, Green only
- Histogram: Luma only, RGB Parade, Red only, Blue only, Green only
- Vectorscope (future): Color vectorscope with 2X zoom
- 1:1 Pixel Mode: Image Zoom, Vertical Flip, Aspect Ratio Guides
- Digital Audio: I/O 2-Channel Embedded Audio (48KHz, 24-bit)
- Analog Audio: I/O 3.5mm stereo unbalanced input up to -10dB (future), 3.5mm stereo headphone output
- Remote and Timecode: RS-232 I/O (future), programmable GPIO (future). Timecode: LTC I/O (BNC) or embedded SDI / HDMI (HDMI future)
- User Interface: Capacitive Touchscreen, Two user-programmable context-sensitive mechanical keys
- DC Power Input: 6.5 to 34 VDC with built-in reverse polarity protection; locking Neutrik connector, built-in power switch
- Power Draw: 8 Watts (monitor only), 9-12 Watts (simultaneous monitor/record mode)
- Weight and Size 560 grams / 1.3 lbs., 7.9″ x 6.1″ x 1.0″ (200 x 155 x 25 mm), -10 to +40°C (Operating), -20 to +70°C (Storage)
- Record Triggers: Touchscreen, SDI record trigger (ARRI, Canon, Panasonic, Red, Sony), Optional Remote Control Cable (future)
- Recording: SSD Media: Convergent Design SSDs with power-loss protection, in 256 and 512 GB sizes, 420MB/sec write, 500MB/sec read speed, compatible with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt adapters. SSDs and adpaters sold separately.
- Recording Formats: Compressed formats: Apple ProRes 422(HQ) up to 1080/30p (60p in future release), 1080/60i, 720/60p
NEW FEATURES, RECORD OPTIONS (Odyssey7Q only):
Sony FS700 4K RAW 100p/120p Super SloMo
Record 100fps or 120fps in 4K RAW in a 440 frame burst usng the camera’s internal memory buffer. Triggering is set on the camera at either the start of the memory buffer (capture the 440 frames after trigger is pressed) or at the end of the buffer (capture the 440 frames that occurred before the trigger is pressed). 440 frames equals 3.7 seconds of real time at 120fps and 4.4 seconds at 100fps. 440 frame played back at 24fps lasts more than 18 seconds.
Record Options Rentals
Using the newly re-launched Convergent Design website, Odyssey7Q owners can rent ARRIRAW and Canon RAW Record Options. Rentals are based on 24hour time periods and are available for up to 31 day lengths. Rentals begin when a first recording is started. Indicators in the on-screen menus note rental time left and warn as the time gets low.
FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS:
- FIXED Occasional file corruption when using PIXEL ZOOM while recording Apple ProRes 422(HQ)
- FIXED Occasional file corruption when recording a 1080psf signal
- FIXED Playback issues at end of a file
- FIXED Image scaling in psf and interlaced signals that showed jagged lines in PIXEL ZOOM.
- FIXED Black line in image from Canon 5Dmk3 in 1080/24p
- IMPROVED Hide Menu/Video Functionality
FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS, RECORD OPTIONS (ODYSSEY7Q ONLY):
- FIXED Canon C500 QHD RAW (3840×2160) file corruption at 50p & 60p
- IMPROVED Sony FS700 4K/2K RAW S-Log2 to REC709 LUT
- IMPROVED Sony FS700 4K2HD S-Log2 to REC709 LUT
- IMPROVED Sony FS700 4K2HD REC709(800%) to REC709 LUT
- IMPROVED Sony FS700 4K2HD REC709 color science (internal LUT)
For the latest firmware, go to www.convergent-design.com/firmware-downloads.html to download the update instructions, firmware, release notes, guides, and the latest Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q manuals.
An Odyssey SSD or Odyssey Utility Drive is required to perform the update.
**Article changed to include firmware updates.
Excerpts from Press Release