The compact system camera market is booming thanks to their DSLR-like features, compact size, and ease of use. Manufacturers have taken note and CSC models are now available from all the big brands with continual advances in sensor technology closing the gap between the compacts and bulkier DSLRs.
Olympus is one such brand taking this market seriously, and has just announced the new OM-D E-M1 as its flagship CSC model. The mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera launches this month for a recommended $1599 and offers filmmakers full HD video with multi-motion image stabilisation, broadcast quality stereo sound and a time lapse movie feature that captures 999 shots in a single sequence in intervals from every second to every 24 hours with automatic compilation into a time-lapse movie.
Other feature highlights:
• The new built-in EVF system rivals full-frame DSLR models in both screen size and creativity, offering a 0.74x (35mm equivalent) magnification factor, high resolution 2.36 megapixel LCD panel, adaptive brightness and a new Colour Creator function that allows fine live adjustment to the hue and saturation of an image.
• High-speed, high-precision Dual Fast AF technology that selects the optimal AF mode depending on the lens and the settings.
• A five-axis image stabilisation system that uses new control algorithms for improved stabilisation at lower shutter speeds. The E-M1’s IS-Auto automatically detects the camera’s movement and controls correction depending on the direction of use.
• New 16.3 megapixel Live CMOS high speed image sensor with boosted image processing (ISO 25,600 maximum sensitivity).
• Built-in wi-fi functionality that allows you to send photos and videos to a smartphone or tablet, and to operate functions including shutter speed, aperture value and exposure compensation wirelessly from a smartphone using the Olympus Image Share smartphone app.
• Splash-, dust- and freeze-proof with guaranteed operation in environments down to -10°C.
• New system accessories include an underwater case, battery grip holder, grip strap, a washable shoulder strap and a range of cases.