Tascam’s popular eight-track field recorder, the DR-680, has been given a major update.
Improvements in the MkII include a new op-amp and capacitor for the mic preamps to deliver improved audio quality; support for SDXC cards, on top of readily available SD/SDHC cards.
Also, Take (file) numbers can now be reset using the ‘Take No. Init’ function; improved battery life (battery now lasts 150% longer); improved clock precision for more accurate sync to video devices.
There’s also a dual recording function allows two files to be recorded simultaneously at different levels (a second file can be recorded simultaneously at a lower level for a distortion-free safety track); the DR-680MKII can load and play back multitrack audio files (ie. those prepared with a DAW); and there’s now support for lithium batteries.
Get onto the Tascam site to check out all the original features that have made the DR-680 so popular.
- 8-track portable recording
- Record eight individual inputs or six inputs plus a stereo mixdown
- Up to 96kHz/24-bit Broadcast WAV file resolution for 8 channels
- Stereo 192kHz/24-bit recording mode
- 4-channel MP3 recording
- Digital monitor mixing (level and pan) with recordable stereo mixdown
- Mid-side microphone decoding, either during recording or monitor/mixdown
- Ganged input option for use with stereo microphones
- Ideal for surround music and effects recording
- Cascade function for running two units together
- Pre-recording feature
- Auto-recording mode begins recording when the input reaches a certain level
- Mark function during recording/playback
- Edit functions such as divide and delete
- 128×64 backlit LCD display
- Powered through (8x) AA batteries or (included) PS-1225L adapter
- Records to SD/SDHC card media (not included)
- Premium AKM Audio4Pro™ 192kHz A/D converters with over 100dB signal to noise ratio
- (6) mic pres with 60dB of gain and phantom power
- (4) XLR/1/4″ (combi) mic/line inputs and (2) TRS 1/4″ mic/line inputs
- Low cut filter and limiter on each input
- (6) RCA unbalanced line outputs
- S/PDIF digital in and out
- USB 2.0 (mini B) connection for computer
- Built-in speaker
- 1/4″ stereo headphone output
- Included accessories: PS-1225L power supply, shoulder strap
- Dimensions: 7.95″ W x 2.12″ H x 6.93″ D (202mm x 54mm x 176mm)
- Weight 2.65 lbs (1.2kg) without batteries