The Foundry has exploded onto the free bandwagon, with it’s Nuke family of products now available on a non-commercial licence with zero cost to users. This includes not only Nuke and NukeX, but the company’s top-of-the-line software, Nuke Studio.
Nuke is the leading software for node-based VFX, compositing and finishing, and is used by VFX houses the world over. It’s so popular in fact, that it’s been used in just about every single Hollywood blockbuster within the last 5 years. Including films such as Avengers: Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt2, Insurgent, The Lego Movie, and The Great Gatsby. It’s even been used in films that are not so big on effects, such as Unbroken, The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything.
If you want to learn how to composite for a career in the VFX industry, then learning how to use Nuke is your best foot in the door. The Foundry provides a full library of how-to videos and training to get you up to speed.
Best of all, the free version isn’t watermarked, it has an output of 1080p and can be used on all non-commercial projects.
NUKE STUDIO NON-COMMERCIAL FEATURES:
- 2D format support
- Planar tracking, 2D tracker & 3D camera tracker
- 32-bit floating point and OpenIO colour
- 2D & 3D format support, model building, vector generators and workspace
- 3D particle systems and re-lighting
- Asset management, annotations, performance metrics and background rendering
- Curve editor, denoise, Zdefocus, warping, lens distortion, scopes and match-grade
- Point cloud and depth generation tools
- Roto-scoping, editorial tools, and keying
- Kronos, Oflow, and non-linear retiming
- Stereoscopic workflow
- Python API & PySide
However, there are a couple of differences to the full commercial version.
- Output resolution up to HD (1920 x 1080).
- Some nodes disabled including: the WriteGeo node, Ultimatte node, Primatte node, BlinkScript node, and GenerateLUT node.
- 2D format support disabled for MPEG4 and h264.
- Encrypted data storage and limited python scripting.
- Licenses cannot be used in the same pipeline as commercial versions of NUKE or in clusters of non-commercial licenses.
- Licenses are not valid for commercial work at home or in a company, or for use in a commercial environment when completing work or in an educational institution.
To download your own copy of Nuke, NukeX or Nuke Studio, CLICK HERE.