Red Giant Shows VFX Artists how to Recreate the “Stranger Things” Mind Flayer
Whether you’re spending a few weeks away at Camp Know Where or working at the Starcourt Mall, nothing makes summer better than a Stranger Things tutorial from Seth Worley.
Fans of the hit Netflix series “Stranger Things” can keep the show going while it’s on hiatus thanks to the latest VFX tutorial from Red Giant: How to recreate the Mind Flayer. In this short, fun video, Seth Worley, the writer and director behind Red Giant Film hits including “Plot Device” and “Old/New,” shows visual effects artists and motion graphics designers how to recreate the monster-villain, the Mind Flayer, from the iconic final shot of Stranger Things season two. If you enjoy it, be sure to check out Seth’s previous insanely popular tutorial on turning a real-world environment into the Upside Down.
In this tutorial, Seth uses the following tools from Red Giant suites including VFX Suite, Trapcode Suite, Magic Bullet Suite, and Universe:
- VFX Supercomp: Supercomp is a compositing environment that makes it easy to create complex, seamless composites. In Supercomp, light and atmospheric effects interact with all layers and elements of a scene in a far more natural way, and with far less pre-composing in After Effects than ever before.
- Trapcode Particular: Create organic 3D particle effects, complex motion graphics elements and more After Effects. Now with Fluid Dynamics.
- Trapcode Tao: With tools to generate complex procedural 3D geometries using built-in auto paths, mask shapes, and the motion from 3D lights, Trapcode Tao brings new depth to motion graphics projects.
- Magic Bullet Looks: Magic Bullet Looks is designed to give filmmakers powerful looks and color correction. With over 200 fully-customizable Look presets and over 40 powerful tools to customize or build new Looks, it’s the most-intuitive color correction experience in the industry.
- Magic Bullet Colorista IV: Magic Bullet Colorista IV provides professional color correction for filmmakers, turning Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects into a high-speed professional color grading environment.
- Universe Camera Shake: Red Giant’s plug-in for adding simulated handheld camera motion to footage.