Convergent Design has just released to new tutorial videos to explain setup configurations for the recently released (last month) Odyssey7Q+ 4K recorder/monitor to either the GH4 or the A7S.
One of the biggest advantages of using these kinds of recorder/monitors is being able to record and playback footage from the one unit, without the annoyance of having to unplug drives and then plug them into a computer. It’s really handy is you’re pushed for time or with limited space, or location shooting.
The 7Q+ allows internal capturing of uncompressed HD/2K in DPX stacks, along with HD/2K/UHD/4K internal recording of Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), in addition to the standard SDI and HDMI outputs.
If you want to know anymore about the device then check out our earlier piece here, or scroll to the end of this article where we’ll copypasta the features and specs sheet.
The units are currently priced in Australia for AU$3139 (Inc GST) from New Magic, check online for resellers and prices in your area.
CD have also told us that for a limited time, the 7Q+ will be shipping with two free 256Gb SSD units!
Which will save you little dosh to put into buying other gear items, or just beer for the wrap party.
Now, onto the videos.
ODYSSEY7Q+ AND GH4
ODYSSEY7Q+ AND A7S
- HDMI and SDI I/O – HD/2K/UHD/4K Recording over HDMI or SDI w/ conversion
- LUT SUPPORT – ARRI Log-C, CANON C-Log, SONY S-Log, S-Log 2, S-Log 3
- ASPECT RATIO GUIDES – Standard and Custom (user adjustable), may be used for framing guides, Horizontal/Vertical Framing Guides Available
- FOCUS ASSIST – Video + Edges (Peaking), Edges Only, Enhanced Edges, user choice of color: Red, Green, or Blue
- ZEBRAS – Adjustable zebra exposure indicators
- FALSE COLOR – False Color with 5 programmable levels
- WAVEFORM – Luma only, RGB Parade, Red only, Blue only, Green only, Full Size and Compact Size options
- HISTOGRAM Luma only, RGB Parade, Red only, Blue only, Green only, Full Size and Compact Size Options
- PIXEL ZOOM – 1:1 and 2:1 Image Magnification with frame drag
- OUTPUT DOWNSCALING – Output 1080p HD via HDMI or SDI from 4K/UHD source (allows for additional on-set monitoring)
- MULTI-STREAM DISPLAY – Display four simultaneous 1080 or 720 HD streams, HD-SDI and HDMI inputs supported in multiple formats
- DIGITAL/ANALOG AUDIO – Multi-channel audio support via SDI, HDMI or 3.5mm analog ports
- TIMECODE – Timecode: LTC I/O (BNC) or embedded timecode via HD-SDI & HDMI (limited to specific cameras
- IN/OUT MARKERS – In/Out markers set during recording can be used during start/stop/playback and exported to NLE.
- UPGRADEABLE – RAW Recording Options available for purchase or rental through our website. (Sony RAW, Canon RAW, ARRIRAW, POV Raw)
- DUAL SSD SUPPORT – Dual drive architecture allows for long record time, high frame rate and high data rate recording.
- RUGGED DESIGN – Magnesium alloy case for extreme durability in harsh conditions
|Display||7.7″ OLED, 1280×800, RGB 8-bit panel, ~16 million colors, wide gamut, 3400:1 contrast ratio, 176° viewing, true blacks|
|SDI Video I/O||HD-SDI/1.5G / 3G support: Single/Dual/Quad Link inputs (HD/2K/Ultra-HD & 4K
supported), Dual HD-SDI 1.5G outputs, Full-size BNCs
|HDMI Video Input||HDMI Version 1.4a support, 8-bit/10-bit 422 (depending on source signal), up to 1080p60, up to 30 fps in Ultra-HD (3840 x 2160) and up to 24 fps in 4K (4096 x 2160)|
|HDMI Video Output||HDMI Version 1.4a support, 8-bit 422, up to 1080p30|
|OLED Monitor||Vertical Auto-Flip (defeatable), Adjustable Color to match other monitor’s
calibration, Adjustable Saturation
|Digital Audio I/O||2 channel SDI or HDMI embedded audio (48KHz, 24-bit)|
|Analog Audio I/O||3.5 mm port for line level 2-channel unbalanced or 1-channel balanced input up to -10dB, 48KHz, 24-bit, 3.5mm stereo headphone output, adjustable|
|User Interface||Capacitive Touchscreen, three mechanical keys|
|Sound Level||Silent, no fan or vents, no RF emissions|
|DC Power Input||6.5 to 34VDC with built-in reverse polarity protection; locking power connector, built-in power switch|
|Power Draw||8 watts (monitor only) 9 to 18 watts (depending on selected record mode)|
|Weight and Size||560 grams / 1.2 lbs., 7.9 x 6.1 x 1.0 (200x 155 x 25 mm), -10 to +40°c (operating), -20 to +70°c (storage)|
(Dual SSD Slots)
|Convergent Design Premium 2.5″ SSDs with power-loss protection, in 256GB, 512GB and 1 TB sizes, 420Mb/sec write, 500Mb/sec read speed, compatible with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt Adapters. SSDs and adapters sold separately.|
4K/UHD 10-bit YCC 422 up to 30 fps, in Apple ProRes 422 HQ
2K/1080p 10-bit YCC 422 up to 60 fps, in Apple ProRes 422 HQ
1080i 10-bit YCC 422 up to 60i, in Apple ProRes 422 HQ
720p 10-bit YCC 422 up to 60 fps, in Apple ProRes 422 HQ
2K/1080p RGB 10/12-bit 444 up to 30fps, in DPX File Format
1080p RGB 10-bit 444 up to 60fps, in DPX File Format
** Available in the future via a free firmware update.
All specifications are subject to change without notice.