Sony’s has just announced at IBC, that the newest addition to its XDCAM range is a complete camera system that delivers long-form recording capabilities with 4K resolution in a compact, hand-held design.
The new PXW-FS7 XDCAM is a native E-mount camcorder, with an 11.6 million-pixel Super35 Exmor CMOS sensor, flexible viewfinder mounting system, Smartgrip, 4 built-in ND filters, XAVC Intra/Long GOP recording, FS-RAW interface, with auto exposure and SteadyShot stabilization. An 18 mm flange-back distance enables the use of a range of 35mm lenses. The optional LA-EA4 A-mount lens adaptor allows compatibility with a wide range of high-quality A-mount lenses.
The new camera will be available in two versions: body-only, and the PXW-FS7K version with a new servo zoom E-Mount lens FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS (SELP28135G).
Recording on the camcorder uses Sony´s XAVC Intra and XAVC Long GOP formats, each supporting 10-bit 4:2:2 recording (XAVC-I, 180fps; XAVC-L, 120fps). Recording in UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution, slow motion up to 60fps and Full High Definition (1920×1080) with 60/50 progressive frames is possible. A firmware update in early 2015 will enable native HD recording in the Apple ProRes HQ 422 codec, when using an optional extension unit (XDCA-FS7).
Through the XDCA-FS7’s FS-RAW interface, the PXW-FS7 is capable of 4K/2K RAW recording with Sony’s HXR-IFR5 and AXS-R5, or with a compatible third-party external recorder.
The FS7 features 2 XTo support the FS7’s Slow and Quick motion and internal 4K recording, a new 128 GB XQD G series with ultra-high speed transfer up to 440MB/s (read) and 350MB/s (write) has been developed. XQD cards are also available in 64 and 32GB capacities.
Sony marketing says the camera includes a low-pass video filter, progressive pixel reading and advanced camera processing to give shooters a broad span of creative treatments and options such as high speed recording, high resolution and high sensitivity, with less aliasing and less rolling shutter.
With 4 built-in ND filters allow full exposure control in a range of lighting conditions, without requiring external ND filter equipment. S-Gamut3/SLog3 & S-Gamut3.Cine/SLog3 are supported for flexibility of post-production options.
Designed to be used hand-held and also for balanced shoulder-mount use, without the need for additional rigs. The supplied Smart Grip provides easy access to key camera functions including focus magnification; the user menu; REC start/ stop; and zoom. Its assignable wheel allows control of Iris, Focus, Audio Level and Gain.
Sony is also introducing an optional accessory, the VCT-FS7 light-weight rod support system featuring 15mm rods and an adjustable shoulder pad. This lets shooters use additional peripherals and easily attach follow focus systems or an external recorder.
FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS E-mount lens
Sony says the new E-mount lens is the world’s first 35mm full-frame interchangeable power zoom lens. Featuring a constant F4 value, independent rings for iris, zoom and focus control, and is dust- and moisture-resistant. The SELP28135G has SteadyShot stabilization, minimum focus breathing and is enabled with Sony’s new Super Sonic wave Motor (SSM) to reduce zoom noise while shooting.
- Sony’s Super 35 Exmor CMOS Sensor
- Native E-Mount; Compatible with A-Mount lenses (LA-EA4 A-mount lens adaptor required), 18 mm flange back distance
- On-board UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) and Full HD (1920 x 1080) recording
- Wide choice of recording systems
- XAVC (Intra/Long GOP)
- MPEG HD, 4:2:2, 50 Mbps (HD only)
- Apple ProRes codec (with future upgrade and extension unit, sold separately)
- RAW recording (with extension unit and outboard recorder, sold separately)
- Slow & Quick Motion for over-and under-cranking
- Dual XQD card slots
- 16-bit analog-to-digital converter
- ISO 2000
- Supports S-Gamut3Cine/S-Log 3 encoding
- Die-cast magnesium frame
- Environmentally sealed electronics
- Wireless operation with CBK-WA100, sold separately
The following are planned availability and suggested list pricing for the PXW-FS7 and accessories (all prices in USD):
- PXW-FS7 4K XDCAM Super 35mm Camcorder (body only) – October 2014, suggested list price less than $10,000.
- PXW-FS7K 4K XDCAM Super 35mm Camcorder (with FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS lens) – December 2014, suggested list price less than $13,000.
- XDCA-FS7 Extension Unit – December 2014, suggested list price less than $2,500.
- SELP28135G FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS lens – December 2014, suggested list price of $2,500.
- VCT-FS7 Light-weight rod support system – December 2014, suggested list price less than $1,200.
Excerpts from Press Release