Blackmagic Design today announced its Pocket Cinema Camera has had a massive price reduction from it’s normal RRP of AU$1239 and is now selling in Australia for AU$589 (inc GST) and in the US for US495. The new price is only available for a limited time and will end on the 31st of August 2014, it’s also subject to limited availability.
This is great news considering all BM’s cameras just had a firmware upgrade (you can read about that here) and means the BMPCC now has an URSA interface, autofocus support for EF lenses, improved de-bayering when shooting to ProRes, improved ISO & audio performance, amongst a heap of other upgrades. Check out our review of the camera here if you’re interested in grabbing one while its on special.
“We have worked hard to set up this exciting special price to allow more people to afford a super compact digital cinema camera that they can personally own. However stock is limited at this lower price so customers who want to buy at this price will need to move fast,” said Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design.
“We are extremely proud of the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and we want to thank all the cinematographers who have send us examples of the work they have completed with this camera. We want to thank everyone for the wise and intelligent feedback they have given us and we hope this special offer is a great way to show our appreciation to the wonderful customers we have. For us, this is a dream come true!”
Since its introduction, the BMPCC has been used in thousands of independent films, television commercials, music videos. Its small size has allowed its use in hard-to-reach angles or in places carrying a larger camera would be dangerous.
Earlier this year, Aussie rockers Spiderbait used the camera whilst shooting the video clip to It’s Beautiful.
The camera features a Super 16mm sized 1080HD sensor, super wide 13 stops of dynamic range, built in SD card recorder for Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), 12 bit Log RAW lossless CinemaDNG RAW capture and active Micro Four Thirds lens mount, in a compact form.
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Key Features:
- High resolution 1080HD Super 16mm sized sensor with superior handling of image detail.
- Super wide 13 stops of dynamic range allows capture of increased details for feature film look.
- Compatible with extremely high quality Micro Four Thirds lenses. Compatible with other mounts via common third party adapters such as PL mount and Super 16 cine lenses.
- Built in SD card recorder allows long duration recording with easy to use media.
- Open file formats compatible with popular NLE software such as ProRes 422 (HQ) and lossless CinemaDNG 12 bit RAW. No custom file formats.
- Standard connections including mini jack mic/line audio in, micro HDMI output for monitoring with camera status graphic overlay, headphone mini jack, LANC remote control and standard DC 12 power connection.
- Built in LCD for camera settings via easy to use menus..
- Supports 1080HD resolution capture in 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30 fps.
- Compatible with DaVinci Resolve Lite color grading software.
Availability and Price
The Pocket Cinema Camera is available now for $589 AU$ (inc GST)/US$495 until 31 August 2014 (subject to availability) from Blackmagic Design resellers worldwide.
Excerpts from Press Release