Burbank, CA. Matthews Studio Equipment announces a new solution that further extends the range of filming environments for Samsung 360 Round camera, offering even more protection from the elements for creators
“Samsung approached MSE last year as they began the initial field testing of their new virtual reality camera with IP65 certification,” explains Tyler Phillips, Vice President, Matthews Studio Equipment. “They needed a support system that provided flexible mounting options and could withstand the rigors of extended outdoor shooting in extreme environments.”
The Matthews VRig is a robust VR support system with flexible mounting options, low center of gravity and small footprint to minimize nadir hole obstruction while maintaining rock-solid stability. When paired with Samsung’s 360 Round, which captures true 4Kx4K 360 degree footage, users can record, edit and livestream complete VR video and audio, anywhere. 360 Round features a unibody chassis and compact design and is IP65 dust and water resistant.
“Samsung 360 Round is built for creators who need a highly portable, high quality professional VR camera that they can take into a variety of environments,” said Josh Dixon, Emerging Products Lead, B2B Mobile, Samsung Electronics America. “As we researched the marketplace for the ideal partner to build out a rig, time and time again, Matthews Studio Equipment was the name that came up with other vendors and our customers. They are handsdown the leader in the industry for their rugged rigging solutions.”
To truly maximize the value of the products together, Samsung and Matthews began collaborating on a refined packaged system with a new weather resistant skirt and hard case designed to house the 360Round and VRig in one protective shipping enclosure.
“The goal was to offer the virtual reality production market a complete system that answers many of the questions common with producers joining in this rapidly expanding industry,” explains Phillips. “The 360Round and VRig complement each other in their ability to set up quickly and perform consistently at a level that professional cinematographers have grown to expect.”
“Samsung has emerged as the leader in virtual reality with industry leading technology from the camera to the head mounted display and Matthews is proud to be included in their ecosystem,” says Phillips.
- • Lightweight S30 (30 lbs.) and heavyweight S75 (75 lbs.) models
- • Small footprint to minimize nadir hole and shadow obstruction
- • Stability enhancing Barbell Weight Retainer, and optional Pump Cup or Auger Spike
- • Pivoting (-15deg. to +90deg) 3/8” Magic Finger camera mount
- • Vertical height range ideal for sitting and standing VR perspectives
- • Slim profile minimizes view obstruction to live audiences
- • Black elastic leg skirt for neat appearance and camera accessory concealment
- • Integrated mounts for binaural microphones, lighting fixtures and other accessories
- • Flexible modular system design that integrates with standard grip equipment
- • Optional Ball Head with camera plate, or Mini Black Boom arm for angled mounting
- • Strong and lightweight all aluminum construction
- • Grip inspired design:
- o Brass v-shaped riser brake
- o Rocky mountain leg
- o Integrated carry handle
- o Standard ¼”-20, 3/8”, Baby and Junior Pin interfaces